Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Are you imitating Paul?...We're suppose to brethren

1Corinthians 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

When I read the first verse it seemed strange to me that this verse wouldn't be the last verse of Chapter 10.  I know Paul didn't write his letters in chapters as we see them; however, it just makes me curious about how and when the chapters were determined.  In any case, it is still a great verse to reflect on what Paul did; after all, if Paul writing a God breathed letter to the brethren tells us to imitate him, we should know what he did.  So, let's reflect on the characteristics of Paul as outlined so far:
 
1. Striving to be blameless on the Day of His (Jesus') return
2. Pleads with others to obey sound doctrine
3. Preaches The Gospel and keeps it simple; Christ Crucified
4. Doesn't sugar coat things as it relates to sin and growing in Christ
5. Warns others not to be deceived by the lusts of this world and false teaching
6. Content to be a spectacle to this world for the sake of The Gospel
7. Doesn't keep company with those claiming to belong to Christ, yet are practicing sin
8. Committed to not acting in a way that might cause others to stumble
9. Disciplines his body and remains strong against temptation
10. Sexually pure
11. Does not tempt Christ
12. Does not complain
13. Committed to edifying and encouraging the brethren
 
By the way, as I was scrolling through the hi-lites in my Bible to compile the list above I noticed that this is the second time in this letter Paul commands the brethren to imitate him:
 
1 Corinthians 4:16 Therefore I urge you, imitate me
 
So, in view of this list, which is certainly a VERY condensed list of the first 10 chapters of 1 Corinthians; how are you doing.  Is there a few items on the list we can be lifting up in prayer and surrendering to The Lord?  When our big brother Paul commands us to imitate him, we dare not ignore his walk.  This is a list that is worth keeping at the ready for a daily review.  I will also post this on my blog if you want to reference it again:
 
May God put the conviction of Paul's command to imitate him on our heart and give us no peace until we surrender it all to Him

No comments:

Post a Comment