Monday, January 3, 2011

How should we preach?

 I don't think there is any doubt that this world has more "fancy talking" preachers today than at any other time in history. I have been in churches (not as a guest, but as a regular attender) before I was saved and after I was a baby Christian Based on those experiences I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have heard the Scriptures twisted to fit agendas, I've heard Scripture taken out of context, I've seen a crumb from Scripture pulled out and segwayed in to a "worldly" message. Needless to say, I don't attend those churches any more. Can you imagine any preacher having the audacity to preach beyond what the apostle Paul preached. 1 Corinthians chapter 2 makes it crystal clear what is to be preached:

1Corinthians 2:1-5 And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God.
2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling.
4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

I remember when I was close to being saved (BTW, I only know I was close in hind site); I used to watch Joel Osteen. I did not want to miss a single one of his "shows". Then when I got saved I realized that he was not giving the True Gospel. Why was I so drawn to him? His preaching wasn't by the power of God, I didn't have the Spirit of God in me and I was sucked in by the "wisdom of man".

You have to be careful what you listen to, and you have to be in constant prayer and The Word so you can discern what you hear. As a matter of fact, just yesterday in church the pastor was reading from Romans 1 as he tied it in to his message. When we left, I asked my daughter, why do you think he left out the second half of verse 26 and then jumped to verse 28? She looked at me curious, so I read to her verse 22 to the end of the chapter. Read it for yourself before you read the rest. The reason he didn't read the rest wasn't in the interest of time, he didn't read it because he didn't want to offend. Do you think God would have wanted him to leave that out. or was it entirely a decision of the flesh?

In verse 6 Paul also makes it clear that to those who are mature, he imparts more Godly wisdom. He also quotes Isaiah in this chapter:

1Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written: "EYE HAS NOT SEEN, NOR EAR HEARD, NOR HAVE ENTERED INTO THE HEART OF MAN THE THINGS WHICH GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM."

Who does God have these glorious things prepared for? THOSE THAT LOVE HIM! How does He know we love Him?
John 14:15 "If you love Me, keep My commandments.

John 14:24 He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment