Saturday, February 5, 2011

As Real As It Gets!

Back when I used to box and kickbox I not only fought, but I was also a student of both sports. I was committed to watching video and improving every aspect of my game. In a particular 2 month period a guy started coming down to the gym. His name was Jader. It turns out that Jader was a drifter. He was a good fighter and he hit like a mule, but in hind site I realized that, Jader had things going on in his life that kept him moving on constantly (boxing attracts some pretty bad characters).  Jader didn't have a car so I would pick him up every Tuesday and Thursday to go to the boxing gym in Minneapolis. We were pretty close in weight so we also sparred together quite a bit. For weeks my coach had been telling me that I am carrying my right hand too far in front, making me susceptible to a left hook, which is the best knock out punch in boxing. On one Tuesday when Jader and I were sparring he faked a jab and came back with a left hook that landed right on the chin. I was out on my feet and if it had been a real fight there wouldn't have been a thing I could do to stop Jader.

I was so mad I wouldn't talk to anyone for the rest of the workout and I don't think I said two words to Jader all the way to where he was staying in Brooklyn Center. I wasn't mad at Jader, I was mad that I had got hit like that...I'd been SO STUPID! The next day I worked on keeping my right hand where it belonged and on Thursday I pounded the crap out of Jader.

We got out of the ring after a few rounds and we were taking our gloves off and Jader said, “I see you went home and did your homework huh Steve?” I just smiled. He had no idea how hard I really did work the day before....that was not going to happen to me again.

To be good at any sport, you have to be good at deception. In boxing it is the faint and fake jab. In football it is the fake pump and go deep. In basketball it is the fake and go. In baseball it is the slow curve after a heater. You get the idea.

In spiritual warfare it is no different. Whenever you see the words 'deceived' in the Word of God you need to pay special attention. The ultimate deception is when your adversary doesn't know he has been tricked. Whenever you see the words, “don't be deceived” you need to really examine yourself in light of the warning to see if you have been deceived by Satan and/or demons.

Two times in four verses, Paul uses this word. Lets' take a look.

If you boil it all down, the first time in this chapter Paul uses the word, it is in regard to humility. Over and over again Paul warns us not to be full of ourselves. He even says that he, himself, was given a thorn in his side so he would not get a big head in lieu of all the revelations The Lord was giving him. Humility is something we must cultivate. Plead with God to give you more and more humility.
Galatians 6:3 For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.
The second time Paul uses the word deceive in this chapter is in regard to something we touched on yesterday. Walking in the flesh. We dare not think so irreverently about God that we are flippant about our sin. When we are care free about sin we are essentially determining that God is a punk; we are mocking God. Almost as silly as Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown, when we are flippant about our sin we think that we can do what we want and we will still get our way. If you are reading this and you are deliberately living a sinful lifestyle, you need to know, God will not be mocked:
Gal 6:7-8 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.
Let's get real serious and honest for a minute. If you are willfully living a sinful lifestyle....I am talking about what God says is sin, not what you have decided is sin and take liberty on the rest.....If you are deliberately continuing in sin do you really think that God should and would allow you in to His Kingdom? You mock Him every day and you want to go to His home?....come on....get real with yourself long enough to consider this logically. Is this world dead to you and the lusts thereof; or do you openly or secretly lust for the things of this world and put off the things of Christ?
Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment