Sunday, February 6, 2011

Do you trust your Daddy?

When both of my kids were old enough to make a pretty good jump (probably 3 years old) I would have them stand at the top of the stairs and I yell “stage dive” and they would jump toward me as I stood at the bottom of the stairs. I would catch them and they scream “'gin, gin” (kid speak for “again”). This would go on and on until I'd say, “that's 'nuf”. Wendy absolutely hated it!

The kids never gave it a thought that I wouldn't, or couldn't catch them. They had complete trust in their daddy. This story is what I think of when I read in The Scripture that we are to come to Him as little children:
Matthew 18:3 and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
Jesus even referred to His disciples as little children when He first started speaking of His execution:
John 13:33 Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, 'Where I am going, you cannot come,' so now I say to you.
Complete trust in Him is what He wants. The problem is, people get wise in their own eyes and seek the lusts of this world and their own man made wisdom instead of trusting in the promises of God. My daughter, who is now 15, would roll her eyes and laugh if I yelled, “stage dive” to her now. She doesn't trust that dad can catch her; and to be honest, I probably can't. If she surprised me and said “OK” and all of a sudden jumped, I would make every effort to catch her, but I think we would both end up injured.

Unfortunately, there are those that have bad memories of their earthly fathers. They don't trust them, they would doubt that their dad would (let alone, “could”) catch them.

Where as the best of fathers fail in many cases, Our Heavenly Father will never fail us, leave us, lie to us or forsake us. But if He is going to be your Daddy, it takes complete trust, which is the same as faith. In Ephesians, Paul is talking to those who have put their trust in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior:

Ephesians 1:12-13 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
Those that have put their complete trust in Jesus have been given every spiritual blessing:
Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,
What are some of these spiritual blessings?Adoption, acceptance, redemption, forgiveness, wisdom, inheritance, seal of The Holy Spirit, life, grace, citizenship.

Would you take anything that this world has to offer over these gifts? Would you prefer dollars to adoption? Popularity to acceptance by The King? Riches to redemption? Fortune to forgiveness? Vices to Godly Wisdom? Lusts of this world to eternal life?

Matthew 16:26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
If you want more of God, you need to pray for it. If you want the lusts of this world to be dead to you, and dead in you, you need to plead with The King. You need to pray:
Ephesians 1:17-19 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, 18 the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power

No comments:

Post a Comment