Thursday, February 17, 2011

Want wealth? Here it is...

Paul has already, in Philippians, emphasized that we are to be joyous in the Lord. In verse 4 of chapter 4 he emphasizes it a couple more times:
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
When a person is of this world, and is not a citizen of Heaven, it is easy to get wrapped up in the cares of this world. When your focus is on the cares of this world, and when the things in this world don't go like you hope or plan; you lose your joy. Contrast that with a born-again believer that has their eyes fixed on the things above, anticipating their inheritance in Christ Jesus, where the cares of this world don't have the same effect.

The one fixed on Heaven will look at all situations through the lens of, “how can I most glorify God in this situation?”

One answer is, “I can be gentle at all cost.”

Philippians 4:5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
Another answer is, “I can leave worry behind and call on the Lord.”
Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
When we really own this simple Truth; granted, it is hard to walk out, and it is impossible to walk out without Christ; but if we own this, we will have a peace that will not only be confusing to those around us, but it will even be confusing to us:
Philippians 4:7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Did you catch that? Peace that surpasses understanding! Did you also notice the progression? When we are anxious for nothing, but instead pray about everything with a heart of thanksgiving, we will have the peace of God.....but there is more....the peace we have will guard our hearts and minds. When the cares of this world roll off our back and we we are fixed on Jesus we give no foothold to the devil. We are protected! Our minds and hearts are walled in and guarded perfectly by the peace of God!!!

Does God lie?

No!!

Then with all gentleness, be anxious for nothing, and instead lay your cares in the lap of the King.

How do I fix my eyes on Jesus?

Philippians 4:8-9 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
I thought I was going to get through this chapter without having to make a false teacher comment....then came verse 13. The favorite “verse tattoo” of athletes. The favorite verse quoted by the “prosperity pimps”. They don't read verse 12, they just make verse 13 fit what they want. If you read the context, clearly Paul is saying, “whether I am in lack or plenty is of no consequence, because I can do all thing through Christ who strengthens me.” Verse 13 is NOT a name it and claim it verse.
Philippians 4:12-13 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

This reminds me of something I heard a dear brother in Christ say one time, “wealth is not how much you have, it is how little you need.”

No comments:

Post a Comment