Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Humanity Gone Wild

I remember in my younger days when I was trying to win the favor of a certain girl she said, “you’re just too wild.”  I wore that as a badge of honor, almost a, “I’m glad you noticed” kind of cockiness. Now that I am born-again I understand that all of the characteristics I held dear and wore proudly…were all a lie. They were all a lie from the pit of hell. God desires meekness, not pride. God desires humility not arrogance. God desires obedience, not disobedience. God desires gentleness, not harshness. I could go on and on, but the ultimate point is; I had no Godly characteristics; I was wild in more ways than one…hell bound, deceived, and confused about eternity. In short, I was just as the people God describes in Isaiah 5:

In Isaiah 5 we see two major things happening that is both a foreshadowing of the same message brought to us by the writers of the New Testament (inspired by the Holy Spirit), and reality of the message of God never changing…He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Before we go in to that, let’s first look at the first 2 verses. I found them very interesting, they seem to be making a clear parallel of humanity’s rebellion against God; that being said, I am far from an Old Testament scholar…what is the Lord showing you in these Words?

Isaiah 5:1-2 Now let me sing to my Well-beloved A song of my Beloved regarding His vineyard: My Well-beloved has a vineyard On a very fruitful hill.2 He dug it up and cleared out its stones, And planted it with the choicest vine. He built a tower in its midst, And also made a winepress in it; So He expected it to bring forth good grapes, But it brought forth wild grapes.

Then God asks a rhetorical question in verse 4:

Isaiah 5:4 What more could have been done to My vineyard That I have not done in it? Why then, when I expected it to bring forth good grapes, Did it bring forth wild grapes?

Look at any generation in history. God makes Himself known, yet men continue to rebel and be disobedient…they continue to be wild.

Isaiah 5:20-23 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! 21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, And prudent in their own sight! 22 Woe to men mighty at drinking wine, Woe to men valiant for mixing intoxicating drink, 23 Who justify the wicked for a bribe, And take away justice from the righteous man!

If the Lord had left me in that condition I would not have got the last laugh. He would have been Just in sending me to hell forever. His anger and wrath would have rightly been poured out on me, just as He speaks of in verse 25:

Isaiah 5:25a Therefore the anger of the LORD is aroused against His people; He has stretched out His hand against them and stricken them, and the hills trembled. Their carcasses were as refuse in the midst of the streets. For all this His anger is not turned away,

But, as I have said….His Message has never changed. Yes He is angry with sinners every day. Yes He will pour out His Wrath on the sons of disobedience….but look at the rest of verse 25…look at the rest of the story:

Isaiah 5:25b But His hand is stretched out still.

Isn’t that AMAZING! That’s Amazing Grace. Utter rebellion and disobedience and His hand is stretched out still, not too far for sinners to reach. All who thirst may come and drink from the Water of Life without charge. As He says in His Word, today if you hear His voice do not harden your heart as in the rebellion, repent and put your faith in Jesus Christ to be saved. After all, the goal of our faith is the salvation of our souls, right?

Hebrews 3:15 while it is said: "TODAY, IF YOU WILL HEAR HIS VOICE, DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS AS IN THE REBELLION."

Revelation 21:6 And He said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.

Matthew 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.

Proverbs 3:5-7 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and depart from evil.

1Peter 1:6-9 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory,9 obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

1Peter 1:14-19  As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, 15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." 17 And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one's deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile, 18 knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment